miércoles, 3 de septiembre de 2008

KERMES OAK, QUERCUS COCCIFERA






This tree fulfills me every time I see him and keeps surprising me. I collected this tree now 2 years ago. It was love at first sight, the first time I saw him decided to come back better prepared for collecting him as I thought he would give me trouble as he was surrounded by rocks all around with no sign of earth. Luckily it was just a matter of pulling out stones. Thanks to these stones he is totally flat at the base and has a lovely Nebari and Jin. The tree was around 2 meters height and decided to cut it at the lower branches height. I could scarcely fit him in the car as you can see in the photos. At the moment I’m just wiring him, cleaning his natural Jin and carving some branches and at later stage will work on the top of the tree where I cut his head. As you can see in the photos he only had huge mature roots and scarcely any small ones of which to feed from. So I thought I would have problems with him surviving. I soaked the tree for an hour in Superthrive, then with Micorriza. The earth I used a mixture of Akadama with grit at 50%. The few leaves left I cut them off to give more strength to the tree. Watered it with what was left of the Superthrive soak and the next days only watered when dry with water & sugar, a tablespoon per litre the first month. Sprayed with water every morning and late afternoon. Then beginning of spring and all through summer fed with organic fertilizers “Biogold”. Mid spring the tree exploded with green leaves all over that year and hasn’t stopped. Cleaning the moss over the Jin has uncovered the beautiful carving work done by nature which you can appreciate in the photos..


No hay comentarios: